Sunday, May 26, 2013

Lemon-Blueberry Birthday Cake

My mother turned 62 years young on April 14th this year.




I'll admit I had a mental plan to do a party for her and have family come. Well the way it worked out the Friday before her birthday (the 12th) I realized I needed to figure something out.

What can I say? I'm not always the most organized person!

I made a quick FB invite for my siblings but no one could make it such short notice. BAD KAT!

I fixed her homemade Fish -n- Chips, salad and a Lemon-Blueberry Birthday cake. Really was delish! For frying the fish, I preheated my fryer (Yes, I'm still using that lovely fryer. I really highly suggest it. Even if you don't fry foods much it will save you so much time when you do!) to 350 degrees and took my cod and soaked it in milk for about 10 minutes.


While my cod was soaking I put flour into a paper bag with some Johnny Seasoning and pepper. Shook it up real well.
I like to double dip my fish. Take the wet fish and shake it the flour, then quickly dump back in the milk and back into the flour. This makes a really nice crispy crust on the fish.

I also made my homemade french fries. Very yummy!

For the cake I simply used a white boxed cake mix. Sometimes they taste the best! Made 2 layers filled the layers with lemon curd and fresh blueberries. Frosting was a lemon-blueberry buttercream that was TO DIE FOR!

Both the lemon curd and frosting recipes came from My Baking Addiction's blog.

Lemon-Blueberry Cake

Ingredients


1 white box cake cooked in two 8or9 inch pans
fresh blueberries for garnish and in between layers


Lemon Curd

1 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 4-5 lemons)
zest of 3 lemons
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted

Lemon Blueberry Buttercream

4 sticks butter or margerine, softened
8 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
zest of one lemon (finely grated)
2/3 cup fresh blueberries, pureed with 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1-3 tablespoons milk



For the Lemon Curd

1. In a medium sauce pan, whisk together the sugar and eggs until smooth and thoroughly combined. Whisk in lemon juice, lemon zest and butter.
2. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly. You will know the lemon curd is done cooking when it coats the back of a metal spoon.
3. Remove from heat. Allow to cool completely before using.
4. Fill top of one layer with blueberries and frosting on edge to prevent spilling.

For the Lemon Blueberry Buttercream

1. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter until fluffy. Slowly add in confectioner’s sugar, and continue creaming until well blended.
2. Add vanilla, lemon zest and blueberry puree and mix until well combined. If buttercream is too thick, slowly drizzle in milk until you reach the desired consistency. Beat at high speed until frosting is smooth and fluffy.

Top cake with second layer and start frosting. Decorate with fresh blueberries! (I used frozen blueberries.. you can definitely see the difference.)


K.


No comments:

Post a Comment