Monday, May 27, 2013

Chicken Tortilla Soup with Homemade Tortillas

Yesterday I tried a new recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup. My first try about 3 months ago was a little disappointing.

I have to say it was amazing! Slightly spicy but also really flavorful. It was also rather light. Didn't feel like a heavy soup. I found the original recipe here. but I made some adjustments to it.

I also tried homemade tortillas last night.
Yeah... They didn't turn out horrible but they looked and tasted more like fried bread than those yummy soft flour tortillas I love so much. One of my friends told me I should really have my mother inlaw teach me. Sadly, there is a really big language barrier and we don't have much of a relationship. I may ask one of these days but for now I need to keep trying new recipes!

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Ingredients
1 pound boneless chicken, cooked and shredded
1 can (15-ounce) crushed tomatoes
1 can (10-ounce) enchilada sauce
1  medium onion, chopped
1 can (4-ounce) chopped green chilies
2  cloves garlic, minced
3 cups water
1 can (14.5-ounce) chicken broth
1 can (15-ounce) whole kernel corn
1 can (15-ounce) black beans, rinsed
2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed bay leaves 
2 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
 
Directions

Take chicken (Frozen or fresh) and boil in a medium pot with about 6 cups of water and 1 roughly chopped onion until chicken is easily shredded. 

Strain broth from chicken into another larger pot. Allow chicken to cool before shredding and throw out boiled onions. 

Add remaining ingredients into pan with original chicken broth. Simmer over low heat for about 1 hour. 

Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese and tortilla strips.  YUM!



 Have a lovely day!
K.


No comments:

Post a Comment